Wednesday 20 March 2013

The Technology Balance

Do you struggle with the technology balance?

I read something on facebook today, a poem about a "Mom" always on her iphone.  It resonated with me in many ways.  The mum was busy,even at the park, checking her phone.  She missed seeing her little girl twirling in her skirt.  She hardly acknowledged her little boy showing off his latest climbing achievement.

Today, after reading this poem, I realised I really am not present enough with my children.  

This mum could be me.  But not any more.  Enough.  In a strange coincidence, just yesterday I uninstalled facebook from my mobile.  It was completely sucking my time up with, basically complete *crap*.



 Our home has always had access to technology and therefore so have our children and I have always struggled and felt conflicted about what amount of time is an ok amount of time for them to spend with technology.  Part of me says they are exposed to too much of it.  The other side of me says but this is the world they are growing up in.  This IS their normal.  How do you strike a balance.  How much is enough?


Being a working Mum is a struggle at times, especially when you are trying to finish some of your required hours at home.  I know I am guilty of collecting the kids, giving them afternoon tea while I open my laptop.  This is not acceptable.  So I am going to make changes.  They will be hard, even though they should be easy.

When M2 asks me to sit next to her, or play with her, I will try my best to.

When M1 wants to tell me about his Bakugon (man, how I loathe these), I will try my best to listen and see his enjoyment from this.

All too soon their childhood will be gone.  I don't want to be left wondering what I was doing throughout it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.... thanks!