Monday 18 March 2013

Affirmations

Do you use affirmations?  I have always been interested in these, even though the idea of them sounds a little, out there.  Louise L Hay who is a great believer and proponent in affirmations has written many books on the subject.

I have started to use three affirmations, each day as I am waking up.  I say them over and over in my head, gently trying to rouse myself from sleep. 

I am strong and capable
I am enough
My body will thrive with exercise

I repeat them, in my head until I can wake up enough to get out of bed and face the world (or more honestly, my ever enthusiastic children).  They (the affirmations) are not changing my world, yet. but they are giving me a mental focus.

I am strong and capable
Sometimes when I look around the mess that is my house with the ceiling that needs painting, windows that need washing, ironing and folding up etc etc, I feel completely overwhelmed and powerless.  The above affirmation is to remind myself that if I reflect, I am indeed extremely strong and extremely capable, of many, many things.


I am enough
I blame this on the "yummy/super mummy" culture we all live in.  I never feel like I get enough done, exercise enough, prepare good enough food.  But my kids think I am (mostly) awesome and my husband still loves me after 20 years.  So I must be doing something right?


My body will thrive with exercise
 I am really trying to get back into some kind of exercise routine, and this is going ok, but the focus to lose the weight gained over the last 12 months is disheartening.  I am hoping focusing on the positive image of my body "thriving" on exercise, will help me with my determination.

I say these affirmations through the day (always in my head - does that mean I think them instead??) when I am losing focus or just need a minute to "breathe". 

They are working... a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.... thanks!